Friday, September 23, 2011

FFTA Lock Out-153rd day

Have to keep it limited or FFTA might also force me to change my name to Toby, but im doing what i can. Here's a draft of a paragraph that I wrote about my first day out steelheading for english.

I lagged behind my dad and our fishing guide, as we followed a trail thronged with protruding roots and stray rocks. My wading pants drooped on my wiry frame, making it a challenge to dodge the obstacles of the trail and not trip on my oversized pants and boots. In fear of making a bigger fool out of myself, I kept my gaze on my feet, limiting me from seeing the budding oak and maple trees that composed this Spring Ohio forest. The trees ahead of us began to thin, while the sight of the river and its loyal fisherman became more defined. The river tumbled over boulders, ran fast and shallow, merged with a creek, and then became slow and deep again to create the long run, which will always be etched in my mind. The crisp air from the tumbling of the water cleared my head, while my legs felt numb from trudging against the oncoming cool water. I had never seen a steelhead before, but as I stood elbow to elbow with my fellow fishermen, I could see these chrome sided fish stacked head to tail throughout the whole run. Hearing splashes behind me, I turned to the parallel creek to see even more steelhead chasing and fighting each other off the spawn bed. Unfortunately, this was my first day for steelhead ever, because not only did I have no idea what to do, I will be forever spoiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment